Real Estate Attorney in The Woodlands, TX
For many individuals, a real estate transaction is the most substantial financial decision of their lives. This might include buying your first home, selling a family residence after children have moved on, or renovating and selling a property for profit and an upgrade. For business owners and investors, real estate transactions are more routine but they still have major financial importance and significance.
Whether you’re buying a new home, investing in commercial property, or dealing with a challenging property dispute, the legal team at White & Mejias is here to help. Our attorneys handle all aspects of real estate law, from residential transactions to commercial development. We invite you to contact us today and discover how our experience can bring clarity, confidence, and peace of mind to your next real estate endeavor in The Woodlands, Texas.
Why Hire White & Mejias For Your Real Estate Matters?
At White & Mejias, we recognize that every real estate decision is a significant one, whether it’s a home purchase or a complex commercial investment. When you hire us to handle your transaction, you benefit from the following:
- Experienced Professionals: Our team consists of seasoned attorneys with extensive experience in all areas of real estate law, from buying and selling to dispute resolution.
- Comprehensive Services: From the initial consultation to the closing deal or resolution, we offer a full range of legal services to ensure a seamless and efficient process.
- Local Knowledge: Operating in The Woodlands, Texas, our understanding of local regulations and market trends provides a distinct advantage to our clients.
- Transparent Communication: We prioritize clear and open communication, keeping you informed and involved at every stage of the transaction.
- Strong Negotiation Skills: Whether it’s negotiating a purchase agreement or resolving a dispute, our robust negotiation capabilities can protect your interests and maximize your benefits.
- Affordable and Flexible Pricing: We offer competitive pricing and flexible payment structures, ensuring that top-tier legal representation is accessible to all.
Choosing White & Mejias for your real estate matters means entrusting your most significant financial decisions to skilled legal professionals who are committed to your success. Contact us today to learn how we can assist you in achieving your real estate goals.
A deed is a vital legal document that sets forth both equitable and legal ownership of real property. There is no standardized format for deeds in Texas, but they must contain certain language and each county mandates a filing fee to record the deed in its real property records. Having a real estate lawyer handle these steps is important because different types of deeds serve specific purposes, and the wrong actions or details can affect the transaction.
At White & Mejias, we can assist you with the following deeds:
- General Warranty Deed: A general warranty deed is the most widely used deed in real estate transactions. It expressly warrants the entire chain of title back to the original owner of the property and allows the buyer to hold the seller responsible for any claims or defects in the title, even if the defects were created by an earlier owner.
- Special Warranty Deed: Special warranty deeds only warrant title defects or title issues from the Seller during the time the Seller had the property. It does not go back any further than from the point at which the seller owned the real property.
- Transfer on Death Deed: Authorized under Chapter 114 of the Texas Estates Code, this deed allows property transfer upon the owner’s death, offering an economical way to bequeath property without a will and avoid the probate process for your property.
- Lady Bird Deed: Also known as a revocable life estate deed, the Lady Bird Deed allows the grantor full control over the property during their lifetime. They may sell, mortgage, or lease the property without the beneficiary’s consent. This deed provides an interest in the home while allowing the current owner to retain control until their passing.
Commercial and Residential Contract Review
Our real estate attorneys in The Woodlands are equipped to review and draft all types of lease agreements. We regularly assist clients with the following:
- Residential Lease Review
- Residential Contract Review
- Commercial Lease Review
- Commercial Contract Review
- Land Lease Review
- Land Lease Creation
Having a real estate attorney in the Woodlands assist with these contract reviews can protect your interests while ensuring legal compliance. Real estate contracts often contain terminology and clauses that require a legal background to interpret. A lawyer at White & Mejias can provide clarity, negotiate favorable terms, ensure alignment with applicable laws, and identify potential issues before they become problematic.
Removal of Lien from Property
Conveying a marketable title to a buyer is a crucial part of any real estate transaction. Sometimes, however, a title search will reveal a lien on the property. This discovery can lead to complications, as the title company may refuse to issue a title policy until the lien is cleared or removed.
The best initial strategy is to contact the party claiming the lien to try to negotiate a voluntary release. However, if this approach is unsuccessful, legal action may be necessary. This is where White & Mejias can help.
Whether it’s negotiating a voluntary release or pursuing legal remedies, we work diligently on behalf of our clients to resolve these issues as efficiently as possible. Our goal is always to ensure that the transaction proceeds smoothly, with a clear title transferred to the buyer.
Security Deposit Cases
Chapter 92 of the Texas Property Code states that a landlord must refund the tenant’s security deposit within 30 days of the tenant surrendering and/or vacating the property. If the landlord decides to retain any part of the security deposit, they must give the tenant the remaining balance and a written itemized statement of all deductions. It is important to note that the landlord is not required to give a written itemized deduction list if:
- The tenant owes rent on the property when they vacate; and
- There is no controversy concerning the amount owed.
Our office handles security deposit cases for both landlords and tenants. If you are facing any questions or controversies surrounding a deposit, contact us for a no-obligation consultation.
How Much Does a Real Estate Attorney in the Woodlands Cost?
At White & Mejias, we offer a variety of real estate services at transparent and competitive prices. Below is an outline of our fee structure for specific services:
- Warranty Deed (General, Special, and Quitclaim): $350
- Warranty Deed (Lady Bird Deed / Transfer on Death Deed: $425
- Owner Finance Documents (Deed of Trust, Note, and Warranty Deed): $1500
- Lease Agreement – Commercial: $500
- Residential Contract Review: $500 – $1,000
- Commercial Contract Review: $900 – $1,800
- Release of Lien: $250.00
Please note that these prices are subject to change, and various factors might influence the final cost of the services. We recommend reaching out to White & Mejias for a personalized consultation to understand the exact fees that will apply to your specific case.
What Contract Review Services Do You Offer?
We offer three distinct levels of contract review services to meet diverse needs:
- Basic Contract Review: This entry-level service involves a surface-level examination of the agreement. We identify any outstanding issues or problem areas that need to be addressed in the contract and provide our feedback via email.
- Basic Contract Review plus Edits: Our most sought-after service includes everything in the basic review and goes a step further. One of our attorneys will not only identify issues but also edit them to ensure proper resolution. Feedback is also delivered via email.
- Contract Review plus Negotiation: This service includes all elements of the basic contract review, plus negotiation with the opposing party for any changes proposed or made to the contract. It also includes a phone consultation with one of our lawyers to discuss the negotiation process and the contract.
Contact a Real Estate Attorney in the Woodlands Today
Whether you’re buying a home, investing in commercial properties, handling deeds, or negotiating complex contracts, professional legal assistance is key to a smooth transaction. At White & Mejias, our skilled real estate attorneys in The Woodlands offer a full suite of services designed to safeguard your interests, help you understand your legal rights and obligations, and facilitate smooth transactions. Contact us today and take the first step towards a successful and worry-free real estate experience.